Wednesday, October 14, 2009

EmJ's first trip to the ER...

That's right... our sweet girl had to go to the Emergency Room yesterday... :(
Here's the story:
EmJ was running and tripped on the rug and hit her head on her princess table (the doctors and nurses thought it was awesome that she specified princess). It's a little kid folding table and she hit where you push the button to fold the legs in - the "perfect" spot to split her head open. I had just finished feeding Luke and he was sleeping (very helpful!) - I rushed over as she was crying and gushing blood. I picked her up, we went to the kitchen - got a paper towel on it (not before I got a good look at it and knew it definitely needed stitches), put pressure on it to stop the bleeding, and got her face cleaned up a little. I stayed calm even though the adrenaline was pumping through me like crazy! We talked about her favorite things and she stayed pretty calm. I called Jeff (which consisted of people in his office running around to find him because I clearly sounded stressed!) - he came right home so we could take her in. We're so lucky he's so close because it would have been super hard for me to do it by myself - having to put Luke in his carseat and drive, etc. Anyway - we went drove to the hospital (Jeff held EmJ in the back so he could keep pressure on the cut) and as we thought, EmJ needed stitches. She did incredible! The numbing stuff wore off when they were almost done and she flinched and cried, but stayed still! She is amazing!!! Don't worry, they numbed it up again before they finished. Needless to say, EmJ got to pick where we went for lunch (McDonald's - surprise! Ha!) and she quickly was back to her normal happy self. What a day!!! We're so glad she is ok and that she was such a trooper through the whole thing! We sure love our EmJ!
Here are some pictures of the whole ordeal...
WARNING:
Jeff really wanted me to include the picture of the cut before stitches - and it's pretty nasty! Look at your own risk! :o) (it's the 3rd picture below)
After the whole ordeal - 6 stitches!


When we got to the hospital they put this bandage on her... this picture and the next were taken with Jeff's cell phone. I was a little too stressed to think about the camera on the way out the door. And yes, she was still in pajamas and her hair was crazy...

Below is the nasty one:

The cut before stitches... YUCK!


After stitches and lunch - at home with her rainbow bear from the nurse :o)


And a close-up of her stitches!
We're so glad Miss EmJ is ok and was back to her happy, laughing, normal self in no time! When she saw her "owie" in the mirror for the first time she laughed and said, "that's a funny owie!" Hey, blue string on an owie is pretty silly! :o)

7 comments:

The Shellabys said...

Poor thing! I feel so sad for her! And gross about the before stitches picture!! :) But it is kind of cool too! Ireland says, "It looks like she had to get her eyed needled and threaded like Nana has to do to Bob!"
Chloe thinks it looks like, "it prolly hurts!"
Give her lots of love for us!!

Em and Greg said...

I'm impressed she made it all the way to 3 before an ER trip!Hope she's feeling much better soon!

Anonymous said...

So sad for her...good job for you for staying calm, funny what adrenaline will do. I can't imagine dealing with that much blood and a newborn. Not looking forward to our first trip!

The Oakes said...

Wow, I'm not sure I would be as calm as you! I have to say that is one nasty cut. Glad all is well now!

oodrea1221 said...

WOW--so amazed you all handled it so awesome...not sure I could do the same...but thanks for sharing, so if (when) it happens to us, I can be semi-prepared! Love that daddy wanted to take pics & post them (David would have trouble even looking at this)! Love her big smile & comments when she saw it (and the bear)! I hope you have an uneventful day tomorrow!

Grandma Chuck said...

Holy Smokes! And everyone handled it so calmly. One of those unforgettable experiences in the life of your little family. Glad she is okay. Lots of love from us.

thepalmers said...

Oh my!! Poor EmJ! What a trooper she was! I'm impressed with how calmly you seemed to have handled it all! I'm sure it was much easier with Luke sleeping. We're glad she's ok! She looks awesome! War wounds are the best!
Love you all!!